Advertisement

Early Postpartum Patterns of Breastfeeding Exclusivity and Perceived Insufficient Milk by Prepregnancy Body Mass Index

Published:November 15, 2021DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogn.2021.10.006

      Abstract

      Objective

      To explore trajectories of breastfeeding exclusivity and perceived insufficient milk (PIM) over the first 8 weeks postpartum among primiparous women and the association of these trajectories with prepregnancy body mass index (BMI).

      Design

      Secondary analysis of data from a randomized controlled trial.

      Setting

      Recruitment for the primary study was conducted in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

      Participants

      One hundred twenty-two primiparous women with intention to exclusively breastfeed.

      Methods

      We used group-based trajectory modeling to classify participants into breastfeeding exclusivity and PIM trajectory groups. We used logistic regression to explore the predictive relationship between prepregnancy BMI and breastfeeding exclusivity and PIM trajectory group memberships.

      Results

      We identified two trajectories each for breastfeeding exclusivity and PIM over the first 8 weeks postpartum. For breastfeeding exclusivity, one group (n = 60, 49%) had low initial probability of exclusive breastfeeding with linear decline in likelihood of exclusivity over time. The other group (n = 62, 51%) had greater initial probability of exclusive breastfeeding, which remained constant over time. For PIM, one group (n = 41, 34%) had consistently greater probability of endorsing PIM at each time point, whereas the other group (n = 81, 66%) had consistently low probability of endorsing PIM over time. Prepregnancy BMI did not predict group membership in breastfeeding exclusivity, χ2(1) = 2.8, p = .094, or PIM, χ2(1) = 0.72, p = .397.

      Conclusion

      Breastfeeding exclusivity and PIM appeared to be relatively stable phenomena in the postpartum period among a sample of predominately White primiparous women who intended to breastfeed. We did not find a clear association with prepregnancy BMI.

      Keywords

      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
      AWHONN Member Login
      AWHONN Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Use your society credentials to access all journal content and features
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

        • American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding
        Breastfeeding and the use of human milk.
        Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e827-e841
        • Amorim R.M.
        • Coelho A.C.
        • de Lira P.C.
        • Lima M.C.
        Is breastfeeding protective for blood pressure in schoolchildren? A cohort study in northeast Brazil.
        Breastfeeding Medicine. 2014; 9: 149-156https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2013.0118
        • Bai D.L.
        • Fong D.Y.
        • Tarrant M.
        Factors associated with breastfeeding duration and exclusivity in mothers returning to paid employment postpartum.
        Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2015; 19: 990-999https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-014-1596-7
        • Balogun O.O.
        • Dagvadorj A.
        • Anigo K.M.
        • Ota E.
        • Sasaki S.
        Factors influencing breastfeeding exclusivity during the first 6 months of life in developing countries: A quantitative and qualitative systematic review.
        Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2015; 11: 433-451https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12180
        • Bigman G.
        • Wilkinson A.V.
        • Pérez A.
        • Homedes N.
        Acculturation and breastfeeding among Hispanic American women: A systematic review.
        Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2018; 22: 1260-1277https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-018-2584-0
        • Brownell E.
        • Howard C.R.
        • Lawrence R.A.
        • Dozier A.M.
        Delayed onset lactogenesis II predicts the cessation of any or exclusive breastfeeding.
        Journal of Pediatrics. 2012; 161: 608-614https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.03.035
        • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
        National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity data, trends and maps.
        • Chang Y.S.
        • Glaria A.A.
        • Davie P.
        • Beake S.
        • Bick D.
        Breastfeeding experiences and support for women who are overweight or obese: A mixed-methods systematic review.
        Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2020; 16 (Article e12865)https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12865
        • Chantry C.J.
        • Dewey K.G.
        • Peerson J.M.
        • Wagner E.A.
        • Nommsen-Rivers L.A.
        In-hospital formula use increases early breastfeeding cessation among first-time mothers intending to exclusively breastfeed.
        Journal of Pediatrics. 2014; 164: 1339-1345https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.12.035
        • Demirci J.R.
        • Bogen D.L.
        An ecological momentary assessment of primiparous women’s breastfeeding behavior and problems from birth to 8 weeks.
        Journal of Human Lactation. 2017; 33: 285-295https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334417695206
        • Demirci J.R.
        • Suffoletto B.
        • Doman J.
        • Glasser M.
        • Chang J.C.
        • Sereika S.M.
        • Bogen D.L.
        The development and evaluation of a text message program to prevent perceived insufficient milk among first-time mothers: Retrospective analysis of a randomized controlled trial.
        JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2020; 8 (Article e17328)https://doi.org/10.2196/17328
        • Dennis C.L.
        The breastfeeding self-efficacy scale: Psychometric assessment of the short form.
        Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing. 2003; 32: 734-744https://doi.org/10.1177/0884217503258459
        • Flores T.R.
        • Mielke G.I.
        • Wendt A.
        • Nunes B.P.
        • Bertoldi A.D.
        Prepregnancy weight excess and cessation of exclusive breastfeeding: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
        European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2018; 72: 480-488https://doi.org/10.1038/s41430-017-0073-y
        • Gunderson E.P.
        • Quesenberry Jr., C.P.
        • Ning X.
        • Jacobs Jr., D.R.
        • Gross M.
        • Goff D.C.
        • Lewis C.E.
        Lactation duration and midlife atherosclerosis.
        Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2015; 126: 381-390https://doi.org/10.1097/aog.0000000000000919
        • Hackman N.M.
        • Schaefer E.W.
        • Beiler J.S.
        • Rose C.M.
        • Paul I.M.
        Breastfeeding outcome comparison by parity.
        Breastfeed Medicine. 2015; 10: 156-162https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2014.0119
        • Haiek L.N.
        • Gauthier D.L.
        • Brosseau D.
        • Rocheleau L.
        Understanding breastfeeding behavior: Rates and shifts in patterns in Quebec.
        Journal of Human Lactation. 2007; 23: 24-31https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334406297278
        • Hamad R.
        • Modrek S.
        • White J.S.
        Paid family leave effects on breastfeeding: A quasi-experimental study of US policies.
        American Journal of Public Health. 2019; 109: 164-166https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2018.304693
        • Harris P.
        • Taylor R.
        • Thielke J.P.
        • Gonzalez N.
        • Conde J.G.
        Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.
        Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
        • Hauff L.E.
        • Leonard S.A.
        • Rasmussen K.M.
        Associations of maternal obesity and psychosocial factors with breastfeeding intention, initiation, and duration.
        American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014; 99: 524-534https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.071191
        • Hawkins M.W.
        • Colaizzi J.
        • Rhoades-Kerswill S.
        • Fry E.D.
        • Keirns N.G.
        • Smith C.E.
        Earlier onset of maternal excess adiposity associated with shorter exclusive breastfeeding duration.
        Journal of Human Lactation. 2019; 35: 292-300https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334418799057
        • Hill P.D.
        • Humenick S.S.
        Development of the H & H lactation scale.
        Nursing Research. 1996; 45: 136-140https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199605000-00003
        • Hohl S.
        • Thompson B.
        • Escareño M.
        • Duggan C.
        Cultural norms in conflict: Breastfeeding among Hispanic immigrants in rural Washington State.
        Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016; 20: 1549-1557https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-016-1954-8
        • Kair L.R.
        • Colaizy T.T.
        Obese mothers have lower odds of experiencing pro-breastfeeding hospital practices than mothers of normal weight: CDC Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS), 2004–2008.
        Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016; 20: 593-601https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-015-1858-z
        • Kronborg H.
        • Vaeth M.
        • Rasmussen K.M.
        Obesity and early cessation of breastfeeding in Denmark.
        European Journal of Public Health. 2013; 23: 316-322https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cks135
        • Li R.
        • Fein S.B.
        • Chen J.
        • Grummer-Strawn L.M.
        Why mothers stop breastfeeding: Mothers’ self-reported reasons for stopping during the first year.
        Pediatrics. 2008; 122: S69-S76https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-1315i
        • Lubold A.M.
        Breastfeeding and employment: A propensity score matching approach.
        Sociological Spectrum. 2016; 36: 391-405https://doi.org/10.1080/02732173.2016.1227286
        • Lyall D.M.
        • Celis-Morales C.
        • Ward J.
        • Iliodromiti S.
        • Anderson J.J.
        • Gill J.M.R.
        • Pell J.P.
        Association of body mass index with cardiometabolic disease in the UK Biobank: A mendelian randomization study.
        JAMA Cardiology. 2017; 2: 882-889https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2016.5804
        • Massov L.
        Clinically overweight and obese mothers and low rates of breastfeeding: Exploring women’s perspectives.
        New Zealand College of Midwives Journal. 2015; 51: 23-29https://doi.org/10.12784/nzcomjnl51.2015.4.23-29
        • Mok E.
        • Multon C.
        • Piguel L.
        • Barroso E.
        • Goua V.
        • Christin P.
        • Hankard R.
        Decreased full breastfeeding, altered practices, perceptions, and infant weight change of prepregnant obese women: A need for extra support.
        Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1319-e1324https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-2747
        • Nagin D.S.
        Group-based trajectory modeling: An overview.
        Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2014; 65: 205-210https://doi.org/10.1159/000360229
        • Nagin D.S.
        • Odgers C.L.
        Group-based trajectory modeling in clinical research.
        Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. 2010; 6: 109-138https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.121208.131413
        • Natland Fagerhaug T.
        • Forsmo S.
        • Jacobsen G.W.
        • Midthjell K.
        • Andersen L.F.
        • Ivar Lund Nilsen T.
        A prospective population-based cohort study of lactation and cardiovascular disease mortality: The HUNT study.
        BMC Public Health. 2013; 13 (Article 1070)https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1070
        • Navarro-Rosenblatt D.
        • Garmendia M.L.
        Maternity leave and its impact on breastfeeding: A review of the literature.
        Breastfeed Medicine. 2018; 13: 589-597https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2018.0132
        • Nommsen-Rivers L.A.
        Does insulin explain the relation between maternal obesity and poor lactation outcomes? An overview of the literature.
        Advances in Nutrition. 2016; 7: 407-414https://doi.org/10.3945/an.115.011007
        • Odom E.C.
        • Li R.
        • Scanlon K.S.
        • Perrine C.G.
        • Grummer-Strawn L.
        Reasons for earlier than desired cessation of breastfeeding.
        Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e726-e732https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1295
        • Preusting I.
        • Brumley J.
        • Odibo L.
        • Spatz D.L.
        • Louis J.M.
        Obesity as a predictor of delayed lactogenesis II.
        Journal of Human Lactation. 2017; 33: 684-691https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334417727716
        • Stuebe A.M.
        Does breastfeeding prevent the metabolic syndrome, or does the metabolic syndrome prevent breastfeeding?.
        Seminars in Perinatology. 2015; 39: 290-295https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semperi.2015.05.008
        • Stuebe A.M.
        • Schwarz E.B.
        • Grewen K.
        • Rich-Edwards J.W.
        • Michels K.B.
        • Foster E.M.
        • Forman J.
        Duration of lactation and incidence of maternal hypertension: A longitudinal cohort study.
        American Journal of Epidemiology. 2011; 174: 1147-1158https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwr227
        • Tabachnick B.G.
        • Fidell L.S.
        Using multivariate statistics.
        4th ed. Allyn & Bacon, 2001
        • Text4Baby
        Text4Baby.
        • Umer A.
        • Hamilton C.
        • Edwards R.A.
        • Cottrell L.
        • Giacobbi Jr., P.
        • Innes K.
        • Lilly C.
        Association between breastfeeding and childhood cardiovascular disease risk factors.
        Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2019; 23: 228-239https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-018-2641-8
        • U.S. Census Bureau
        American Community Survey 1-year estimates.
        (Retrieved July 21, 2019, from)
        • Whipps M.D.
        • Demirci J.R.
        The sleeper effect of perceived insufficient milk supply in US mothers.
        Public Health Nutrition. 2020; 24: 935-941https://doi.org/10.1017/s1368980020001482
        • Whipps M.D.M.
        • Yoshikawa H.
        • Demirci J.R.
        Latent trajectories of infant breast milk consumption in the United States.
        Maternal & Child Nutrition. 2019; 15 (Article e12655)https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12655
        • World Health Organization
        Breastfeeding.
        (Retrieved July 6, 2019, from)
        • Young B.E.
        • Farazandeh S.
        • Westra K.
        • Krebs N.
        Maternal beliefs surrounding infant feeding, but not maternal BMI or hospital experience, predict breastfeeding exclusivity and behavior.
        Austin Journal of Pediatrics. 2016; 3 (Article 1041)
        • Zimmerman E.
        • Rodgers R.F.
        • O’Flynn J.
        • Bourdeau A.
        Weight-related concerns as barriers to exclusive breastfeeding at 6 months.
        Journal of Human Lactation. 2019; 35: 284-291https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334418797312

      Biography

      Rachel Renee Dieterich, PhD, RN, is an assistant professor, Nursing Programs, Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA.

      Biography

      Susan Sereika, PhD, is a professor and the Associate Dean for Research and Education Support Services, Health & Community Systems, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.

      Biography

      Jill Demirci, PhD, RN, IBCLC, is an assistant professor, Health Promotion and Development, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.